By RichardS
#43220 User
bobthesheep

Description
This project started with me wanting to take timelapse photos and videos where the camera is sliding on a set of rails. Because my primary application was timelapse photos, I wanted something that was motorized and automated so that I don't have to manually adjust the slider and cause inconsistency the the photos. Additionally, I wanted to be able to control the rig with a smartphone. Commercial products costs over 500$ and none of them are wireless so I thought I'd make something for much cheaper using 3D printed parts and off the shelf components. The final total cost was under 100$. It is still an ongoing project.
TODO:

-Put all the electronics in a box

-iOS app

Hardware assembly

Hardware assembly is pretty self-explanatory. You can use the photos in the photo folder to get the idea. The top plate to support the camera includes a hole for 1/4 inch bolts and 3/8 inch bolts. You can either attach you camera directly to the plate or use a micro sliding plate to better control the balance of camera on the plate. This is especially useful for big and heavy camera like the d800.
To connect the electronics. Use this guide

alt-text

The MCU will be the esp8266 and the 8-35V input will be the output of the 5 to 12V converter (the 2A one)

The logic power supply will be from 2nd output of the power bank.

Software

There are 2 folders. One for the esp8266 code and one for the Android app. The esp8266 acts as a WiFi AP. The Android phone connects to the Esp8266 and controls is by sending html messages.

You'll need AccelStepper library for the stepper motor (http://www.airspayce.com/mikem/arduino/AccelStepper)

Parts
2 x 1/2 inch copper tubing as rails. I used a meter for each rail.
8 x 608 bearings for the rollers
NEMA 17 Stepper motor with 2x20 Tooth GT2 gears to drive the plate.
1x ESP8266 Adafruit Huzzah + FTDI cable
1x A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier, Black Edition
5V power bank as power source with 2 output. 2A min on one the output
4 x 8mm bolts and nuts for the skateboard bearing
4 x 4mm bolts to and nuts attached the stepper motor plate to the chassis
2 x 3mm bolts to attached the stepper motor to the stepper motor plate
2 x 4 mm bolts and nuts to attached the belt to the bottom plate
1 x mm bolt and nuts + washer to hold the free spinning gear to one of the plates
1 x Small box to put all the electronics.
1 x 470uF Cap
1 x 5V to 12V voltage converter
1 x 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch bolt to attach the camera
2 x 3.5mm power jack
2 x usb cables

Links
Github

Video

Images
Attachments
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
DSC_7220_3000.jpg