Questions with regards to ESP8266 Basic and hardware interfacing and control via Basic commands

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Aussie_Barry
#59819 Hi All,

Just got my nodeMCU dev kit today and I am trying to flash it with ESPBasic.
I have downloaded the ESP_Basic_Flasher.exe file (Alpha 3.0 branch) but when I run the program, the Comm port dropdown box is blank.

Any clues on what might be going wrong?

Cheers
Barry
By Mmiscool
#59839 Make sure you have the usb to serial drivers for the ch340 or the ftdi chip.
By dilettante
#59841 Mine use CP2102 chips. Windows 10 had the driver already, though oddly it sometimes picks up the NodeMCU as a "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint" mouse device. When that occurs I go into Device Manager and disable that just in case it could cause trouble.
By Aussie_Barry
dilettante wrote:Mine use CP2102 chips. Windows 10 had the driver already, though oddly it sometimes picks up the NodeMCU as a "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint" mouse device. When that occurs I go into Device Manager and disable that just in case it could cause trouble.

I managed to flash the nodeMCU but it was more through good luck than good management!
I too had an issue with the "Microsoft Serial Ballpoint" mouse device but that has now since gone away.
Device Manager shows the "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM6) loaded in "PORTS (COM &LPT)" without any conflicts or problems.

I am now trying to get my head around the correct process of editing programs and re-running them. So far I have been able to run a program once but any time I try to edit it and re-run it always reverts back to the original program. Can you step me through this procedure so I can learn what I am doing wrong?

Cheers
Barry