Questions with regards to ESP8266 Basic and hardware interfacing and control via Basic commands

Moderator: Mmiscool

By Electroguard
#59864 The Edit window is where you edit your scripts, but you can consider the "EDIT" button to mean - 'READ script from Esp device into the browser Edit window'.

Note that once you have clicked EDIT to open the browser EDIT page, you don't actually need to click EDIT again during that session... clicking SAVE uploads the edited script to the Esp device where you can RUN it, but it's then better to make subsequent script edits by clicking browser BACK to the previous saved script still in the EDIT window rather than clicking EDIT again to reload the script back from the Esp device.

This avoids much loading time, but it also avoids loading corrupted scripts, cos your clean source code has not been to hell and back and is still sat safely in your browser EDIT window.

So rather than relying on recovering scripts from your Esp device using EDIT, consider them as potentially damaged goods, and only rely on your original source still sat in the browser EDIT window, and your last periodically copied and pasted computer text file(s) of the script.
By heckler
#59878 Hi Barry,

here are a couple of tips from my experience.

1. If possible take advantage of the feedback you get from the serial port on the ESP module as you develop code. I use Putty terminal. Each time you save, reset, upload, print from your code, etc. etc. there is a lot of valuable info that comes back via the serial port that helps you know what is going on with your module. Sometimes if I am developing code for an ESP-01 I will also test it on an NodeMCU module to get more (easier) serial feedback.

2. If you develop and test your code on a module that has 4 mb of flash then the Debug feature is available and I have found it to be very helpful to see what is going on in your code. Once you have it working you can then load it on a smaller flash module where the debug is not available for final working module (if your goal is in fact to use a smaller module)

3. always use something like Notepad to Copy/Paste/Save new versions of your code off to a folder. At least save new working copies so you can revert back if something goes wrong with a save. Or if a bug gets introduced and you want to revert back to a known working point in your code development.

Just a couple of tips that have helped me
good luck and share your progress and projects!
dwight
By Aussie_Barry
#59890 Hi All and thank you for all the great feedback.

I spent quite a bit of time playing around yesterday and, with the help of the "Driving Lessons" I found on the forum, I managed to get lots of things up and running.

I have managed to send text to a TFT LCD, change font and font sizes on the click of a button, and load colour images on the display. Lots of fun!

My ultimate goal is to have two (or more) ESP8266's talking to each other, one as an AP and one as a station, to allow remote control of lights etc. I also want to control the lights by a mobile phone app. From what I have gleaned thus far, this should all be do-able in ESP Basic.

Cheers
Barry
VK2XBP