ESPUSB - Chat about the software components

By martinayotte
#52658 I don't think there is any needs for FAT or other filesystems, since flashing can be done directly at the right place like the OTA. It is just that ESP would be seen by host as a MassStorage device and when a single file is writen to it, it will place the bits in second part of the flash like OTA. I've seen similar behavior with some firmware under STM32F4 where emulated MassStorage is a single file.
By cnlohr
#52660 The problem is you have to expose mass storage as a block device, and the host OS can move things around willy nilly. Another general concern here is I read once some OSes won't let low-speed USB devices be mass storage devices and limits them to basically HID-only.

All that said, if I can get them to mass-storage, the idea of just exposing 512kB-1M (or 1M+) as a huge block device, then letting people put files in there, making the webserver serve those files, and using say some special file name as a "reflash me" it would be neat because the FAT code would only need to know how to READ the FS rather than write it!
By RichardS
#52667 Yes it would be very cool.

And yes I think it needs to be high speed for it to work, I think low speed messes with many OS trying to mount mass storage.

RichardS