You can chat about native SDK questions and issues here.

By Reto Keller
#62629 Dear experts,

What is the best IDE for ESP8266 and native SDK programming?
I am not quite a fan of Arduino IDE, as debugging is only possible with printf() as far as I know?

I want to use the UART for my application, so there is a conflict using printf() over the serial UART port.
Thank you for your help and ideas.
By efess
Reto Keller wrote:Dear experts,

What is the best IDE for ESP8266 and native SDK programming?
I am not quite a fan of Arduino IDE, as debugging is only possible with printf() as far as I know?

I want to use the UART for my application, so there is a conflict using printf() over the serial UART port.
Thank you for your help and ideas.

There's no IDE currently dedicated to ESP8266 development. You can find tutorials on the internet how to use OpenOCD or the GDB Stub with various IDE's for debugging support, but I've never used them. I think most people use printf statements and the basic exception dump for debugging. It's what I use and get by no problem.

I think your IDE choice comes down to personal preference. Everyone has their favorite IDE's for c/c++ - Eclipse, VIM, Emacs, Visual Studio, QT Community, etc etc etc - they all work well and have their pros/cons.

Personally I love VS Code and have been using it for most of my ESP development with the native SDK. I posted a here on the subject:

http://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?p=61851#p61851