So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By anik
#87575 I am using esp12 and connecting to router by static IP. I find in router's wifi list but not in DHCP list OK becaise it is not DHCP client. But can I connect for infinite time. Is there any lease time if connnected by fixed IP? If any DHCP lease time setting required? I want never to be disconnected.
By gibo77
anik wrote:I am using esp12 and connecting to router by static IP. I find in router's wifi list but not in DHCP list OK becaise it is not DHCP client. But can I connect for infinite time. Is there any lease time if connnected by fixed IP? If any DHCP lease time setting required? I want never to be disconnected.

Hi anik,
From what I know, any regular home routers will have no lease time. You should get the IPAddress.
But for cheap or old routers, sometimes if you power down the router, you could get a different IP address in DHCP. If you are concerned about changing IP address, what I did was program my App to poll the ESP8266 once if you need their status. You can do UDP multicast. Are you using Node JS? Do you have App?
By anik
gibo77 wrote:
anik wrote:I am using esp12 and connecting to router by static IP. I find in router's wifi list but not in DHCP list OK becaise it is not DHCP client. But can I connect for infinite time. Is there any lease time if connnected by fixed IP? If any DHCP lease time setting required? I want never to be disconnected.

Hi anik,
From what I know, any regular home routers will have no lease time. You should get the IPAddress.
But for cheap or old routers, sometimes if you power down the router, you could get a different IP address in DHCP. If you are concerned about changing IP address, what I did was program my App to poll the ESP8266 once if you need their status. You can do UDP multicast. Are you using Node JS? Do you have App?

But I am not using DHCP because I use fixed or static IP and hence my ESP is not seen in DHCP client list but in WIFI statistics. If my device willl be disconnected after some time say 48 hours. I donot want any disconnection.