So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By SvdSinner
#59592 I'm struggling to get basic serial communication with an ESP01. I'm using a 3.3V UART port on my Pine64 to try to communicate.
So far:
  • I've verified my UART port works in loop-back mode
  • I've played with baud rate to confirm 115200 is what gets me readable text on the serial port. (Other rates either produce gibberish or nothing at all)
  • If I wire +3.3V-->Vcc, +3.3V-->CH_PD, RX-->TXD, TX-->RXD, GND-->GND, I can see the ESP01 generate startup-text when powered on.(I see a bit of gibberish, that eventually cleans up to AI-THINKER READY) Nothing indicates the ESP01 receives anything I send.
  • If I wire +3.3V-->Vcc, +3.3V---> 8.4K resistor -> RST, +3.3V--> 8.4K resistor -> CH_PD, RX-->TXD, TX-->RXD, GND-->GND, I can see the ESP01 generate startup-text when powered on.(I see a bit of gibberish, that eventually cleans up to AI-THINKER READY) I then get any characters I send echoed back to me, but no indication that the ESP01 is doing anything with them. (IOW, if I send "AT<enter>", I get the letters "AT" echoed back, and nothing else.)

What am I missing? (My assumption is that "correct" = something similar to a console where after I hit <enter> I get some form of response back. Is this correct?)