So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By boray.gowda
#70756 Hi again,

Just a thought (as whacky as it might be). The relay board already has a JY3 transistor on it.
Is this equivalent of the 2N2222 or the 2N3904 transistors that other posts suggest that I solder on?

If so, can I just solder a wire from the GPIO-2 of the ESP01 board and connect it to the base of this transistor?
That way I can avoid using the serial communication altogether and use just the GPIO, right?
I mean that transistor is already being used by the onboard MCU to trigger the relay anyway.

I'm an absolute beginner in electronics so please correct me if I wrong.

Thanks.
BG.
By boray.gowda
#71283 Hi,

Sorry I just saw this message.

Unfortunately, I don't have a solution to this specific module. I ended up ripping out the on-board microcontroller (partly out of frustration), and damaged the pins. Ended up keeping the ESP module and threw out the relay board.

Alternatively I purchased a Sonoff board based on ESP8285 (look for PSF-B01). I was able to upload SonOTA firmware over the air (no soldering/de-soldering/breadboard/serial adapter/standing-on-head etc required) and got it to work the way I wanted it. I'm at least able to move on with my life now. LOL!
SonOTA is essentially the Tasmota firmware uploaded over the air.
Hope that helps.

-BG.