So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By youtahDoug
marcelops wrote:Did you manage to send data from your local server?

We may be mixing terminology here. For my application I had an ARM processor with no OS on it, but it did have networking capabilities thru LWIP. It received data from a couple of smart sensors via the ARM serial ports. Since the smart sensors had limited resources they couldn't manage network I/O, but they were real good at capturing/sensing the needed information. Since they were asynchronously sending the data to the ARM I guess you could call them clients.

The ARM processor received these serial port data messages in an interrupt handler which time-stamped and buffered all incoming sensor information. A background task in the ARM looped and dequeued these messages, formatted them into an SQL INSERT statement, and sent them out to a remote SQL host. My was located on GoDaddy.com. (And I guess GoDaddy would be classified as a server.)

Here is a follow up question regarding data transfer:

I have a little project that involves an Arduino + ESP8266 + SD Card. There are a few files on the SD card, and I need to transfer those files to a storage server.

I still haven't decided what the "server" will look like. What are your suggestions/recommendations on (a) how to transfer those files from the SD Card to the storage server?

I would be okay with any method: FTP, HTTP, etc... What is the recommendation?

My application was very similar to yours. I gathered the information and queued them on an SD card for backup in case the network went down. What I required of the ARM processor was:
    * Networking TCP/UDP, etc (via LWIP)
    * MySQLConnect through TCP
    * MySQL Write through TCP
    * TCP for getting time from an NTP server)

I did not get involved with FTP, HTMP, PHP, or java stuff. To complicated and too much overhead for this app. I found some very simple (one-page) TCP routines to access NTP.
Hope this helps.