So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By flywire
#60712 https://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/master/en/flash/
Note that this is a reference documentation and not a tutorial with fancy screen shots. Turn to your favorite search engine for those.

I can't get my module working now rereading the docs I see the next sentence:
Make sure you follow a recent tutorial rather than one that is several months old!

My NodeMcu V3 Module is a CH340 board with a ESP8266 module flashed with old firmware from ESP8266Flasher using Win7. (Hell, 2 years is eons ago.)
Where to from here?

Edit: If you have a new Lolin NodeMcu V3 Module then you probably have the AT Command firmware loaded. So connect the development board to the computer USB port with a micro USB to USB cable (aka mobile phone cable). Then use ESPlorer with latest Java to test. Refer to this post and the previous one it links to.
Last edited by flywire on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flywire
#60748 My first issue is getting a good firmware image. The NodeMCU custom build server is a good option for me. Which modules are worth including to get started with my NodeMcu V3 module?

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Edit: Can someone answer for a noob install?
Last edited by flywire on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
By flywire
#60780 I have been trying this sequence without success:

1. Create firmware on nodemcu-build.com
- float: http://nodemcu-build.com/builds/nodemcu ... -float.bin
This was built against the dev branch and includes the following modules: file, gpio, net, node, tmr, uart, wifi.

2. Connect the NodeMcu V3 Module to the Win7 USB port with a micro USB to USB cable (aka mobile phone cable). Flash with NodeMCU Flasher. Select Config and load firmware then Operation, select Com Port then Flash. Blue led will flash and a tick will be shown in green circle at bottom left of screen when finished successfully. Log tab will confirm.
(Note - I understand that pressing RST and FLASH button is not required with USB-CH340 version but I have tried both ways.)

3. Use esp8266.ru/esplorer with latest Jave to test.

Press the Refresh button, Select the COM port, Select 9600 baudrate, Click Open

=====
PORT OPEN 9600

Communication with MCU..Got answer! Communication with MCU established.
AutoDetect firmware...

Can't autodetect firmware, because proper answer not received (may be unknown firmware).
Please, reset module or continue.

=====

WTF?
Last edited by flywire on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.