So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Danesp
#60963 Hey folks,

Looking at making a smart bathroom scale, to upload measurements to the cloud. Sounds simple and has been done, but I'm looking at making it work without physical buttons.

I've ripped apart an old set of scales. These worked by tapping the unit with your feet, waiting until it had turned on and tared, then you could weigh yourself. I'm looking to basically replicate this with an ESP8266, a HX711 and an OLED screen.

The only way I can figure this out is to have the ESP running constantly and monitoring the HX711. However, this will drain the batteries. Is there any way I can put everything into a low-power mode while still monitoring for any change?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Dan
By draco_magne
#61077 but that's exactly what pretty much all scales do. they enter a sleep (very low power mode) and monitor a change for the IO pin, then connect and do their thing.

the tapping your foot, doesn't really wake it more trigger a calibration and do other things.

My guess without seeing your code, is that if your running through batteries faster then you would like your not entering a sleep mode, though while I know the ESPs' support a deep sleep I don't know if they support the sleep until IO change type of feature that some AVRs (Adruinos) have

take a look at theses,
https://openhomeautomation.net/esp8266-battery/

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4458