So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By dorkygrin
#61190 Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a way to have an ESP8266 run at low power at a remote cabin. Would like it to listen for some kind of wake up signal, power up a Raspberry PI, and take pictures, then shut everything down and go back to sleep.

I've got WiFi in the area, and for power a 12volt marine battery that can be connected to a solar panel.

Any tips on getting started would be helpful!

Thanks in advance
By jeffas
#61356 You can wake from deep sleep with a signal on GPIO16, but that gives you the problem of how to initiate that signal. Are you wanting a timed wake-up, or a manual signal from a remote operator? Timed wake-up can be done directly by deepSleep itself. For a remote signal, I don't see how you can avoid having something running locally all the time, which compromises your low-power need. Someone else may have ideas on that.

I'm working on a remote monitor that needs low power, but I'm relying on timed wake-up, which works fine for my purposes. I can adjust the time period remotely, but the ESP gets the new setting only when it wakes up and reports in; I can't initiate a wake-up.