So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By bob808
#61261 Hi guys,
Great to find this esp8266 resource website. I'm really happy!
I have a question:
I bought an esp14 (thinking it has many pins available vs the other versions, btw, you SHOULD update the esp14 wiki page to reflect that most pins are from the other micro that's onboard). I want to know if I can use it as it is, with only the serial pins with a rfid scanner. Something like the cheap ones from ebay, the RC522 versions (maybe 532 for NFC?). I presume I can make them talk on serial since i2c is not available on esp14, and I don't want to learn how to code on the other STM8 mcu. I basically want to spit the card's ID to a webserver or something via WIFI.
Thanks.
By bob808
#61476 Can't use esp8266 with rc522 on i2c as the rfid reader doesn't have the i2c pins active (some hard wiring on enable pins that is under the chip itself. unless you are good with a hot air station I wouldn't bother).
Still, please note in the wiki that esp14 has NO esp8266 pins on the sides, only on the top edge with no holes (harder to solder).
I got the esp14 thinking it has many pins available but they aren't from esp8266, but from the auxiliary 8 bit micro. Any mods around?