So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By shift838
#63756 I have successfully setup (at least I think so) and got connected to the ESP8266 HUZZAH module.

When I connect to the serial I get:

NodeMCU 0.9.5 build 20150318 powered by Lua 5.1.4
lua: cannot open init.lua
>

trying to issue AT commands i just get the below after typing them, no OK or nothing
>>

I think this is a prompt for coding pullups, wifi scans, etc.

How do I get out of it so I can issue AT commands ?

I am just connecting directly to it via the USB > RS232 TTL cable.

I have found various articles online one suggesting to use the AI-Tinker firmware. Updated to that and I just get the below when connecting in:

Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.

ready

I cannot type anything.

If I connect the ESP8266 to a MAX232 using Ground,TX,RX and VCC and connect that to an actual serial port I can type but pressing return returns no response codes. If I press CTRL+M then CTRL+J i will get an OK result code after the AT command. I can also issue the AT+RST that way. How can I get it to recognize to send a those automatically upon pressing enter in putty or other terminal software?
By Vinoth
#65818 hi,

First you have check the hardware connection.

ESP8266 chip -------------- USB To RS232 TTL Chip Converter
Tx----------------------------------Rx
Rx----------------------------------Tx

Better for checking AT COMMAND to use "MINICOM" in linux.

Why because some times software or application is also not working properly to generate the AT COMMANDS.

And also give proper delay for initiate the TCP connections.
By atexit8
shift838 wrote:I have successfully setup (at least I think so) and got connected to the ESP8266 HUZZAH module.

When I connect to the serial I get:

NodeMCU 0.9.5 build 20150318 powered by Lua 5.1.4
lua: cannot open init.lua
>

trying to issue AT commands i just get the below after typing them, no OK or nothing
>>

I think this is a prompt for coding pullups, wifi scans, etc.

How do I get out of it so I can issue AT commands ?

I am just connecting directly to it via the USB > RS232 TTL cable.

I have found various articles online one suggesting to use the AI-Tinker firmware. Updated to that and I just get the below when connecting in:

Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.

ready

I cannot type anything.

If I connect the ESP8266 to a MAX232 using Ground,TX,RX and VCC and connect that to an actual serial port I can type but pressing return returns no response codes. If I press CTRL+M then CTRL+J i will get an OK result code after the AT command. I can also issue the AT+RST that way. How can I get it to recognize to send a those automatically upon pressing enter in putty or other terminal software?

AT commands to the ESP8266 requires Carriage Return + Line Feed. That's what the Crtl+M and CTRL+J keypresses are doing.