So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By abbey omisol
#64231 Hello!

I am totally new to ESP8266 and I know that my concerned topic is not new however, I really can't find the exact answer for my specific project.

So I decided to finally post a question with the hope that someone will be able to answer me in great detail.

My goal is to create a "sub-router" (via UTP or LAN cable) not just an access point. I wish to make someone connect to the "ESP8266-Router" instead of it connecting to my main wireless connection. Anyone connected to this, can surf the internet, watch youtube, access sites like a normal WiFi connection can do.

The purpose of my project, is that, I wish to control the internet speed of the proposed "ESP8266 Router" and disconnect them if needed. I even plan to hide my main wifi from being searched.

The reason why I came up with this idea is that, we have a terrible low speed connection in our country and I don't want to be selfish in not providing access to any visitors I may have, however, I just would like to put some sort of control over it that I don't have to go and adjust the main router settings every now and then.

I already did some research regarding the ESP8266 is not sufficient in providing this feature since for this application I need to have some storage to accommodate any data etc. but I found this to be vague. All i want is the ESP8266 to act as a bridge (a limited one) which I can disconnect anytime.

With this, I am really looking for someone who can answer me. I won't be asking for any code or whatsoever, all I wanted to know if the ESP8266 can (if it can what are the limitations?) or cannot and why? I am about to start this project and I wanted to gather information before actually start purchasing any devices.

And lastly, suppose it will be really impossible for the ESP8266 to do this application, will the mkr1000 be the best option to go for?

I am badly needing your expertise, please help me out! thank you.
By Ribeiro Santos
My goal is to create a "sub-router" (via UTP or LAN cable) not just an access point. I wish to make someone connect to the "ESP8266-Router" instead of it connecting to my main wireless connection. Anyone connected to this, can surf the internet, watch youtube, access sites like a normal WiFi connection can do.

Like this :)
https://github.com/martin-ger/esp_wifi_repeater