So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Brad Justice
#64517 I am embarking on developing firmware using the RTOS SDK on the Esp-Launcher. I have installed SDK and tools and have built the example software under Linux. Unfortunately I see that the documented flasher is Windows based. This is a problem as there are no Windows machines in the shop.

Can I use the tools documented at wiki/doku.php?id=loading_firmware ? In particular esptool looks interesting. When I connect Esp-Launcher I note it mounts as ttyUSB0. When I build the firmware using all defaults, end of build shows:
eagle.flash.bin-------->0x00000
eagle.irom0text.bin---->0x20000

Would something like
esptool.py --port ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x00000 eagle.flash.bin 0x20000 eagle.irom0text.bin
do the trick?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Brad Justice
By Brad Justice
#64582 Thank you for your prompt reply.

I note from the screenshot of the Windows flasher in Getting Started Guide that it also downloads esp_init_data_default.bin and blank.bin. Do I need to do this if I use esptool? If so, I see that the download addresses used by Windows flasher are 0x1FC000 and 0x1FE000.

Is this the correct command:
esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x00000 eagle.flash.bin 0x20000 eagle.irom0text.bin 0x1FC000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x1FE000 blank.bin

I also note that although the screenshot identifies the flash as 4MB (same as mine) these offsets used for esp_init_data_default.bin and blank.bin are for a 2MB flash. Should this be updated to the 4MB values?

Thanks again,

Brad Justice
By tdwong
#72754 @Brad,

Do not just blindly follow the example in the Guide. The starting address for the esp_init_data_default.bin really depends on the flash size of your ESP8266. Use 0x3FC000 if you have 4MB ESP8266. (I made the mistake by blindly following the Guide and wasted many hours).

Adjust the address for those blank.bin blocks accordingly.