So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By alex_g
#65036 So you plug in to your computer's USB port and the ESP board's mini USB, yes?
What operating system are you using? Are you sure your USB ports are OK?
If using Linux, are you running off sudo?
What command (exactly) do you give to esptool?
Have you tried to see whether esptool recognises the chip at all, e.g. by using the flash_id option?
It sounds to me like your computer, USB, and ESP are not co-operating at all.

Louis Mylle wrote:I'm trying to flash the nodemcu firmware, found on github (https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-firmware/releases). Flashing it with esptool doesn't work either...

I'm getting this error:
Code: Select allConnecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____

A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header
By Louis Mylle
#65092 Hello,

I've tried to press and hold the flash button on the ESP8266 you said.. This isn't working neither I'm just getting the espcomm_error again... But thank you so much! :)

taikapanu wrote:Hi,

At least with arduino ide you need to press and hold "flash" button on right(?) Corner.

ESP need to be in specific mode to be programmed. So from arduino ide press upload, press and hold flash button, press reset once. Reset need to be pressed before actual uploading starts. Not sure if that particular chip resets automatically.

After software is uploaded release the flash button.

Hope it helps :)

Yes, I'm plugging it in a Windows computer with a (working) usb cable and the USB ports are OK. If I use the command flash_id in esptool it says the same thing (Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____) Nothing seems to work .. :?: Thanks for taking the time to respond! :)

alex_g wrote:So you plug in to your computer's USB port and the ESP board's mini USB, yes?
What operating system are you using? Are you sure your USB ports are OK?
If using Linux, are you running off sudo?
What command (exactly) do you give to esptool?
Have you tried to see whether esptool recognises the chip at all, e.g. by using the flash_id option?
It sounds to me like your computer, USB, and ESP are not co-operating at all.

My PC recognizes the ESP, in device manager I see this:
Code: Select allPorts (COM & LPT) ---> Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART bridge (COM6)
but by the way, thank you for your comment! :)

Mitchell QTT wrote:First thing to check: Is the right COM-port selected?
'espcomm_open failed' is a comm-port error. - See more at: viewtopic.php?f=160&t=14507&start=4#sthash.2pWx12mi.dpuf
By davidcgu
#65148 If your com port adapter is recognized on device manager then you just need to configure arduino ide, go tools, and select proper configuration for the board as my screenshoot, ensure you have the proper board and com port.

Good luck
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.