So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By alex_g
#65261 Good idea, but I'm afraid I tried them all WeMos D1 (Retired), WeMos D1 R2 and mini and Generic, no difference at all. if you don't ground GPIO0 and Reset they jut don't show the USB port.

Thanks for taking the time Martin, until I have some more to test against, I'm going to attribute this to "imaginative" manufacture. It still works, anyway, so I'll find some use for it in lighter duties, I'm sure...
By Andu
#65264 I was also about to bin a Wemos D1 mini when it just wouldn't show up in the Arduino IDE. Since I was using Windows 10 I though, hold on, what if a driver is needed. Aaaaand that was it. Bottom of this page: https://www.wemos.cc/product/d1-mini.html Driver: CH340G USB to UART driver.

I didn't need to play with any pins or flash it manually.
By alex_g
#65266 Hm, interesting, Andu.

I am now also wondering if mine is a genuine WeMos or some sort of copy that may be slightly different. The form factor is the same, of course, and it has D1 mini written on it in the right place, but it is not printed with the WeMos logo. Maybe that has something to do with it? Who knows... at the moment I haven't really got the time to deal with stuff like that, if it works - basically - that's good enough for me.
By martinayotte
#65268 Indeed, it is possible that Windows default driver doesn't handle properly the CH34x chip for RTS/DTR which is doing the GPIO0/RES control. On Linux, driver for CH34x is part of any kernels.
I'm on Linux since more than a decade, the only Windows I have are inside VM and I never use it for development.