So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By fsa317
#65446 I finally got my whole setup together but I am having lots of reset issues.

I'm justing running the blink sketch under the generic esp8266 board configuration. The sketch upload fines but while running it will frequently restart with this :

Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

Not sure if this is related to the capacitors or the voltage regulator. I'm using an HT7333 regulator, perhaps that isn't an appropriate one? What I witness is that if I check the voltage across the VCC (on the breakout)/GND it stays constant at like 4.9V, if I check the voltage across Vout of the ht7333 and GND its at 3.3 but then dips to under 2 as the resets occur.

Thoughts?
By fsa317
rudy wrote:The HT7333 is only rated for 250mA and that is not enough for reliable operation of the ESP8266. The HT7833 is rated at 500mA and would be a better choice.

http://www.holtek.com.tw/productdetail/-/vg/78xx

Thanks. Just curious I see a number of posts about using ht7333 with batteries and the ESP8266. Is there a reason why the 7333 is OK for battery powered uses?
By rudy
#65458 I had used a regulator that was rated for 250mA, made by Microchip, and it worked a lot of the time but not always. Sometimes putting a larger capacitor on the output will help with any surges but I found that didn't help as much as a higher current regulator. Why it works for some and not for others I couldn't say without looking at the implementation (pictures) of each.

Based on what I have seen the ESP-12S has a 10uF capacitor across the supply at the chip's VCC and GND connections. A capacitor where it is needed, right at the chip. Since we only have access to the external perimeter of the module we do the best we can and hope it is good enough.