So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rudy
#66126 That is a very nice implementation and I am pretty sure it is safe. But it is not an approved product (the Sonoff I suggested appears to be). - EDIT

The Hilink power supply has no approvals (only a statement of compliance) and even if it did it would only be approved as a component. And that would not transfer to the device it is used in. The complete device needs to be approved. While the relays are approved as a component that doesn't make the device it is used in an approved device. Approved components help make the approval process easier.

When it comes to adding a device into an electrical system there are specific requirement on how to do that.

It is always best to know what requirements are needed to do things properly. After that it is your choice on whether to follow them or not.
Last edited by rudy on Sun May 21, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By trackerj
rudy wrote:That is a very nice implementation and I am pretty sure it is safe. But it is not an approved product (same as the Sonoff I suggested).

The Hilink power supply has no approvals (only a statement of compliance) and even if it did it would only be approved as a component. And that would not transfer to the device it is used in. The complete device needs to be approved. While the relays are approved as a component that doesn't make the device it is used in an approved device. Approved components help make the approval process easier.

When it comes to adding a device into an electrical system there are specific requirement on how to do that.

It is always best to know what requirements are needed to do things properly. After that it is your choice on whether to follow them or not.

Sonoff is a nice unit and certified,etc,etc but what I was just saying is that you can also made your own device in a very safe and compliant manner. And generally speaking, if it's really needed for a device to be certified it can be certified.