So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By fangis
#66988 Hi
Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just wondering here.

I am looking for the cheapest way to use an esp8266 and do simple things like a web server and trying some different firmwares.
From what i have read, there are two options - using a nodemcu-like board which comes with usb, or using a bare esp.
But then, for programming the bare esp you will need at least:
-dupont wires
-a breadboard
-a 5v to 3.3v converter
And then, maybe it will be needed also something else to power the esp, since I read in some places that
the converter will not draw enough current to power it.
So it looks like the cheapest way is simply buing a nodemcu board which you already can program without needing any of these items?
By QuickFix
#67075 Including shipping:Of course I don't know how much you can spend or are willing to spend, but with these prices I wouldn't make things too difficult. :idea:
By fangis
#67097 Thanks atexit8 and QuickFix for the replies.
In fact I had bought a D1 mini clone, but was thinking that the bare esp had to be cheaper.
Anyway, my question was exactly this, if this 1,50 eur with all the added converters, wires and so on in the end will outcost the 2,50 eur d1 mini board.

I am now reading about this programmer http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-ESP01-Prog ... SwxehXOoPA which seems to be a good option added to an esp-01 board. However it seems this programmer needs to be modified in order to flash the esp - some sort of switch to make a gpio0 to GND connection must be added, and this part looks difficult. What do you think?