So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By hary
#68183 So my friend can't program it from its own computer.

He lend me a new one, and I can program it easily from any of my computer.

So for sure there is something wrong with this ESP8266. And Im' pretty sure this is since I tried microPython on it.

One thing I don't understand when using Arduino IDE to program ESP :
When programming Atmel chip using Arduino IDE, you need a kind of firmware inside to be able to program it using Arduino IDE ! A brand new Atmel chip won't program without this firmware.
Does the ESP also need such king of firmware first to be programmed with Arduino IDE ? If so, don't you think I might have erased it when intalling microPython on it ?

martinayotte wrote:Be aware that on old ESP-12E, the LED is not on GPIO2 but on UART0-TX, therefore on GPIO1.

When i upload sketch, the blue led is dimly blinking, so it might be on the UART-TX as you say. But I'm always confused with pin numbering. They're sometimes named by single number (2), sometimes with "D2" and sometimes with "GPIO2" ! :(
By martinayotte
hary wrote:When programming Atmel chip using Arduino IDE, you need a kind of firmware inside to be able to program it using Arduino IDE ! A brand new Atmel chip won't program without this firmware.

That is because there is no bootloader to listen to uart/usb. By default, Atmel chips need to uploaded via the ICSP port header, either 10 pins or 6 pins using a USB-ASP programmer dongle.

hary wrote:Does the ESP also need such king of firmware first to be programmed with Arduino IDE ? If so, don't you think I might have erased it when intalling microPython on it ?

No ! there is already a bootloader in ROM, so, any firmware upload will erase/overwrite previous one.

hary wrote:But I'm always confused with pin numbering. They're sometimes named by single number (2), sometimes with "D2" and sometimes with "GPIO2" ! :(

D2 is not the same pin as GPIO2, it is in fact GPIO4 !
This naming convention as been created to be similar as Arduino UNO shield but with an ESP instead of Atmel, and they choose the nearest pins available to route them up to shield pin. To figure out which D pins are connected to which GPIO, simply look at picture like this one :