So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By RYoung
#67598 Hello everyone,

I've been banging my head against this problem for a few days now. I can't for the life of me figure out which flash parameters I need for my 8266 boards, because I don't know which versions I have! I bought this off of Sparkfun:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678

This says I have the 1MB (8Mbit version), but those parameters aren't working for me. I can't find anywhere that lists the label codes for the package.

Here are the two I have:

So which addresses do I use for the files based on the spec sheet and which parameters for the Flash Tool?

https://www.espressif.com/sites/default ... set_en.pdf

Thanks!
Last edited by RYoung on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By QuickFix
#67611 The ESP in the link (the images aren't working) is an ESP-01.
It typically comes with 512kB of flash and later versions come with 1MB (just like it says on the page):
Sparkfun wrote:Note: This new version of the ESP8266 WiFi Module has increased the flash disk size from 512k to 1MB.

BTW: in China they're only about $1.50 each, so you might want to do your ESP shopping over there :idea:

You can check the actual installed flash by reading the type number on the 8-pin flash chip, next to the ESP8266 chip (the flash starts with 25C or 25Q followed by 40 (for 512kB) or 80 (for 1MB).
See our Wiki for more technical details.

I flashed my ESP-01's without problems setting the flash tool to 8Mbit.

What errors do you get?
By RYoung
#67668 That is awesome help, thanks! They are both 1MB.

Now, the other problems I'm having.

Board 1: I think there was a soldering error when they put the pins in. I get a wobbling 3.3V connection (LED flickers, with random reboots) and now that I've removed the pins as I power the CH_PD pin the power turns off and it shorts...so that is bad

Board 2: I flash with the same method I flashed the Board 1 (that worked mostly), but I get the checksum error when trying to start...

I just ordered four more ($2.50 each on Amazon this time) to see if I just had two boards.

Thanks for the help!

(what is with the moderator review for every post, and why isn't there an SSL on this forum?)