So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Matt2689
#67652 Hi everybody,

A question about what I could achieve with an 8266... I was to make 2 button presses via relay or optoisolator over a wifi connection..

I originally thought about using an arduino with an 8266 for wifi connectivity, but can anyone confirm if I can achieve the same with the 8266 alone? I see 2 gpio pins on the board?

Many thanks...
By Matt2689
#67679 Maybe one of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESP8266-ESP-0 ... SwzgRWzeRb

The plan is to set it up on a roomba to set it running when the cats are out of the house.. they hate it!

Any tips? Do you think I could do that with just a couple of optical isolators to operate the switches?

Thanks
By alex_g
#67682 Yes indeed you can, quite easily.

By the way, it's the old (ESP-01) models that had 2 GPIO pins. The newer ones, ESP-07, ESP-012, etc, have many more... and cost about the same.

The ESP chip itself is quite a bit more powerful than the average Arduino setup. Have a look at some of the example projects section on this site to see some of the amazing applications that they have been used for!
By Matt2689
#67685 So I want to be able to hack the mb of a roomba so that it can be set running remotely... basically just a remote button on a web interface would be perfect, or a direct control from ifttt for example..

Just 2 gpio is plenty for the needs as there are only 3 buttons on the roomba, and only 2 of any use remotely...

So any recommendations? I'm thinking of using opto isolators to bridge across the buttons rather than relays...

Many thanks,
Matt