So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By kaxx1975
#68393 For some strange reason I cannot seem to send AT commands using either Arduino IDE or Putty. I am using an FTDI/USB adapter and have the wiring correct. Setting Baud rate to 74880 with IDE I get :

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,7),

or something different depending on which module I use.

Which tells me at least I am at least getting something.

I have tried every baud setting in Arduino IDE. If I get something, it is gibberish. Or I get nothing. I have tried 3 power sources,with a 1000uF capacitor. That rules out baud rates, and power issues. I have tried 4 of the ESP-01's and also the Huzzah, that rules out the module itself being faulty. I have redone my wiring probably a dozen times now. I have mostly used an empty sketch, but I have used sketch's that work perfectly fine in the IOT world, but nothing happens with AT commands. (I can, for example, get online and switch relays from my moms house 2 hours away with no problems.) I have tried Putty and Arduino IDE. I have restarted the module itself, I have set GPIO-2 to ground, floating, and positive.

It is something small I am missing here, and if any has a suggestion I am all ears. Is it my sketch's? This shouldn't be that complicated, its the most basic function of the device and yet I can't seem to get it to function. So....yeah....I am a feeling like a total noob here. Which I am, I won't deny.

Too much info probably, but I'm hoping we can get past the obvious "Have you restarted it" type responses that I constantly see on Google search for this problem.
By btidey
#68504 If you are managing to flash code from Arduino IDE OK then you could put in just a basic sketch that just sends out a string on the serial line. Like in setup()
Serial.begin(115200);
Serial.println("Running");

You should then see this on the Arduino terminal or Putty each time you reset.

If you can't flash or think you may have done a bad flash then you can flash back the firmware that does the AT commands. You need to use a separate flash tool and you need to have an AT bin file. There are lots of guides on how to do this.
By BitBanger46
#68523 As a novice to using the ESP-8266, it took a lot of time and effort to be able to successfully communicate with the device. For me, the most successful environment to get started was connecting the ES-01 board to my PC using an Adafruit CP2104 USB-UART Bridge and using Hyperterminal (a Windows program) set at 115,200 baud to communicate. (Make sure you set the ASCII properties to add an LF after a CR is entered.) This set up enabled me to try out all of the AT commands.

The reason that I went this route is because I kept getting "failed to sync" errors when I tried to download any code to the ESP-8266 using the Arduino board.

With the communication link working properly, I will try to use the Espressif Download Program to flash the ESP-8266.