So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By r1elkins
#68928 Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum, although not new to forums. I have done a bit of research on my subject but I'm not having much luck. I find a lot information doing a Google search, but I'm a civil engineer, not a software engineer. So I'm having a hard time keeping up with most posted information.

Let me try to explain my situation. We have a well for drinking water. There is a well controller that monitors the well pump. It makes sure that it's not overloaded (clogged) or underloaded (lack of water). When the well control senses one of these conditions, it shuts off the well pump. I have no idea the well control has enabled the alarm. The only way I know there is something wrong is the cistern runs out of water and I have to walk out to the well control and inspect the situation. The well control has an alarm circuit built into it. It's basically a switch; when everything is working correctly the switch is closed, when the alarm is triggered the switch is open. What I want to do is wire the ESP8266MOD so that when the switch opens, I get a push notification from Adafruit. This way I can inspect the well BEFORE I run out of water. So, I've been researching how to do this and I keep getting hits for motion sensors or door switches and I see the elaborate wiring diagrams, and I feel that none of that applies to me. I would think that I could run a wire from the board with 3.3V to the well control alarm, through the well control alarm circuit, then another wire running back to the ESP8266MOD where it's monitoring for a constant 3.3V. When the switch opens, the voltage drops to zero and a notification is sent. I already have a trigger set at Adafruit that says if it receives a value of 1 to send a notification.

I have already downloaded Arduino and have done the blink sketch and the WiFi sketch, both were successful. Any help would be appreciated. I think if I can be pushed in the right direction I'll be able to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

Thanks so much,

Jason