So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By pr0n_j3r3my
#69103 Hi All,

I recently bought an Acrobat ESP8266 ESP-12e and am unable to upload any code to the board. Using Linux with port ttyUSB0 set at 9600 baud. Verified the USB port with the terminal command:

XXXX@XXXX:/home/XXXX/Desktop/esptool# ls -la /dev | grep ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Aug 13 10:55 ttyUSB0

1. Tried using Adruino IDE with the recommended board settings but fails to upload code with following error –
    warning: espcomm_sync failed
    error: espcomm_open failed

2. Next install ESPlorer but just times out when connecting to board
    Communication with MCU.............

3. Next installed Esptool.py to flash firmware. Again cannot connect to board when running the following:
    python esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0.SLAB_USBtoUART write_flash 0x00000 /home/XXXX/Desktop/v1111ATFirmware.bin
    Error msg: serial.serialutil.SerialException: [Errno 2] could not open port /dev/ttyUSB0.SLAB_USBtoUART: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/ttyUSB0.SLAB_USBtoUART'

Sometimes when I plug in the ESP-12e board, the blue lcd lights up but most of the time it doesn't. Connected board to a separate 3.3V power supply on breadboard and retested with same results. Tried interchanging several USB cable but doesn't make a difference. Have also tried connecting to the board on Ubuntu and Windows 10 but with no success. Used hard Reset and Flash buttons with zero results.

I’ve done lots of reading online to try resolve the issue but am now stuck and need some help. Any suggestions on how to get the ESP-12e working would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
By pr0n_j3r3my
#69237 Solved Problem.
The Acrobat board is broken. Don't buy this product:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0179SW31O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought a couple of Kuman ESP8266 boards off Amazon and they worked first time.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06VV39XD8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh well if nothing else it was a good learning experience having to test the board under a variety of different scenarios.

Hopefully I'll be able to share back with others at some point.

Cheers