So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Bill Weis
#69337 I built a bed controller for a young man with muscular dystrophy who can only control the position of his bed using voice commands. (It talks to Alexa, etc). I decided to use a NodeMCU 8266 E12 Dev board in the bed controller and it now looks like the chip is having issues after a few weeks. I am curious if I am using the Dev board in a way it was not intended. Or did I just have premature failure?

If it is ok to use the dev board, is there a supported chip socket for the NodeMCU ESP8266 E12? I realize the pins are arranged for breadboard spacing, but was curious if anyone came across a socket that would work. Would have made replacing the chip a bit easier.
By rudy
#69345 There is not enough information here for a decent answer. How you have implemented things electrically could have been the cause. Making a reliable device is not always an easy thing to do.

I have not used the NodeMCU board, or a board of that type. I doubt there is anything inherently wrong with the board. My biggest concern is that a USB charger is typically used to power it. That is convenient but I would never use it in a product that needed to be very reliable.

For a product I would want line filtering in, or before, the power supply. Transient protection on input and output lines. Good wire routing to help minimize disturbances.