So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By cricri
#70227 Hi, I'm a newbie in this community and in the Arduino's world, I did just some experiments with a dozen of different modules... Now I'm doing some try with the esp8266-01 module wired to Arduino UNO as in the diagram below and using as library the AltSoftSerial. But on friday last week it's happened something... strange! In the morning it worked perfectly, in afternoon sometime, and in the evening definitely no.
I tried to change all the cables because I thought that was a problem of them, but it's not this!
I also thought I've accidentally changed the code, so I tried with an example sketch (in attachment) but I got the same result...
Someone has already tried to connect the esp using this library? If so, can you post the diagram? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By QuickFix
#70256 I hate those Fritzing-drawings (sorry, I'm an old-school guy only using "Old style" schematics).

As far as I can see, the positive of your batteries isn't connected to anything (accoring to the Fritzing drawing) and the positive pin of the ESP is connected to the negative of the batteries.
Furthermore: the ESP is quite picky when it comes to power: the actual power requirements are >=500mA at 3.3V.
2 AA batteries only deliver 3V (when used for a while, they might start off a little bit higher when fresh).
Why aren't you using the 3.3V output off the Arduino board?

Another thing I don't understand (this isn't personal, but just a general observation) is why people buy an ESP-01 to start learning the ESP8266. :?
There are ready made, full featured development boards for about the same price (< €5) as a separate ESP.

This is a picture, an ESP-01 connected to an Arduino, I found on the internet:

cricri wrote:so I tried with an example sketch (in attachment) but I got the same result...

What sketch?
By cricri
QuickFix wrote:As far as I can see, the positive of your batteries isn't connected to anything (accoring to the Fritzing drawing) and the positive pin of the ESP is connected to the negative of the batteries.

Thanks for the answer. It is an error of drawing, obviously they are connected well...!
QuickFix wrote:2 AA batteries only deliver 3V (when used for a while, they might start off a little bit higher when fresh).

I do not use 2 AA batteries but a power supply setted on 3.3V, 1A
QuickFix wrote:Why aren't you using the 3.3V output off the Arduino board?

Because I read in every forum on the web that this is an error since the 3.3v output of the arduino only provide 70-80 mA max.
QuickFix wrote:This is a picture, an ESP-01 connected to an Arduino, I found on the internet:

Yes, I've also found it, but it is not what I asked because this wiring is for upload sketch on the esp without use the usb adaptor. What I asked was a wiring in order to use the AltSoftSerial library and a clarification about the fact that previously it worked and now it does not..!

QuickFix wrote:What sketch?
Sorry, I uploaded two fritz and not the sketch :roll: I'm uploading it now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.