So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Alternet
andre_teprom wrote:
tried both 9600 and 115200. ended up viewing bootloader at 76800

This is an unusual baud rate for new boards or even to be configured at the Arduino IDE. Show what is happening at the Log just after programming the board ( the red characters ). Don't forget to setup compilation/download code to Verbose mode.

See update above. (loaded blank sketch after I couldn't get it working to see if i could even get the AT commands to work).

As for the 76800 that is the baud rate the bootloader spits info out at. After that it should switch to 115200 for use with AT commands.
By Alternet
#70418 Boy Oh Boy!!! I finally got it to work. I tried every combination of every firmware I could find but in the end I managed to get it to work

So my solution was actually a few things all combined together and none worked on their own.

First: Download the latest flash tool http://www.espressif.com/en/support/dow ... ther-tools
Flash Download Tools (ESP8266 & ESP32) V3.6.1.0 as of writing this.

Second: Download the latest Firmware http://bbs.espressif.com/
Go to SDK's section ---> "Latest Release" post ---> Click on the link for the newest release (link goes to github as of writing this post). Download the master branch as .Zip file

Third: Get the following file. (I had to zero out the chip. Erase didn't seem to work. I ended up using the this 1MB zero file I found at https://www.letscontrolit.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3071 )

Fourth: Start up the chip flasher program and choose the chip your working with. Set spi mode to DOUT!!!! (from reading deep into the net I found out that the makers of ESP8266 have made some changes to their products and DOUT is now needed instead of QIO/DIO)

Fifth: Select the port and baud rate and load the zero file. (make sure to use no offset 0x00000)

Sixth: Put unit in program mode by grounding gpio0 and then power cycle the esp8266.

Seventh: Hit start and wait till its done.

Eighth: Go into the firmware folder you downloaded. bin ---> at (or at_sdio) and open the README.md
the file contains what files you need to load for your flash size and the memory address offset you need to load them at. (I used Boot Mode but you can use Non Boot Mode as well)

Ninth: Load all of those files and offsets into the flasher program.

Tenth: Making sure gpio0 is still grounded cycle power again.

Eleventh: Hit Start!

After that is finished you can close the flasher, boot up your serial communications program of choice, remove gpio0 from ground and then cycle power making sure your connecting at 115200.

You should now have a working unit that responds to AT commands

***If your still having problems and its not working (as the first time I did this the bootloader was giving me fatal errors then try loading an example arduino sketch and then repeat the steps again)
By Alternet
schufti wrote:the makers of esp8266 didn't change anything in repsect to dio/qio.
if you need to flash with dio it is the flash chip on your esp module.
youre sure it is esp8266 and not esp8285 ?

Could never make it out until now because it was very faded but I brought the chip to my fine soildering station at work with the magnifier. Its a esp8266EX