So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Alternet
#70383 I have two ESP8266's (both new) and I can not get either to even respond to AT command. I'm using a FDTI to esp8266 board. Tried to load the blink program on both boards from the aurdino libraries. Loaded successfully but doesn't run.

tried both 9600 and 115200. ended up viewing bootloader at 76800 and it looks like i'm getting a checksum error.

any idea how to fix this? both boards same problem.
By andre_teprom
tried both 9600 and 115200. ended up viewing bootloader at 76800

This is an unusual baud rate for new boards or even to be configured at the Arduino IDE. Show what is happening at the Log just after programming the board ( the red characters ). Don't forget to setup compilation/download code to Verbose mode.
By Alternet
rudy wrote:Most likely is that you have a power problem. The 3.3v supply must be capable of supplying 500mA on peaks. If you are powering the ESP from the FDTI's 3.3v then that is your problem.

Update with more info:

Software:

I loaded a blank sketch again after I couldn't get the example blink sketch to work. I'm currently just trying to get the AT commands to work but cant get past the bootloader it would seem.

Hardware:

I most definitely hooked up everything correctly... My custom set up was a arduino nano with level shifting and a 2A capable power supply powering the esp, I had no luck.
So on of the off chance I was missing something I bought an FTDI board (SparkFun Beefy 3). Still the same exact thing happening.

i'm at a loss to explain why it is (appears to be) failing a checksum.