So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By pablok
#71994 :? Dear members,

After I found the raspberry A probably does not provide enough power on its 3v3 pin for the esp8266-01 I switched to a raspberry zero.
Then I learned that esptool.py only works when GPIO0 of the ESP is connected to GND when booting. But then I have to use the reset button every time I want to do something with esptool.py. But that is not really the issue.
It is that I want to use the esp8266 as a replacement for the wifi usb-dongle that is now used on the raspberry zero.
So, I thought I could access the ESP with AT commands and change the settings. I only managed to get access with the screen program once.
Code: Select allsudo screen /dev/ttyAMA0 115200
That worked fine for a while and made me confident that I could come back to finish the next day.
Not so! I spent a whole day trying to get screen speak AT commands. With and without external power sources for both the raspi and the ESP.

Please shed some light on this issue.

BTW. The external power for the ESP8266-01 is made from three rechargeable batteries, type AA, that should deliver a nice 3v6 theoretically. When measured it is even above that i.c. 3v8.
What would you advise in this case? 3v3 pin of the raspi or the external power source from the batteries?

TIA