So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Skipjack6900
#72416 Hi all - hoping for help getting started with my new ESP8266. When I attach my new module to the Arduino IDE (ver 1.8.3):
- I selected the "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP 12-E Module)" under the TOOLS menu,
- I added "http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json" to the preferences section under the FILE menu,
- I installed the CP210X driver for Windows10,
- I attached the USB cable from the ESP8266 module to the computer

When all that is done, the following indications are seen:
- No "port" is displayed in the Windows10 Device Manager (shows COM3 when the Arduino Uno is attached by USB)
- at the bottom of the IDE window, it shows "NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP12-E module), 80 MHz, 115200, 4M (3M SPFFs) on COM3"
- Using the WiFi analyzer on my smartphone shows a strong WiFi signal on channel 1 of the 2.4 GHz spectrum named "AI-THINKER_134034"

Since I am unable to select a "port" in the IDE TOOLS menu, I can't load a sketch, etc.

Please help if you can. Thanks very much.

Skipjack6900
By Zachrey
#72568 I'm with you on this one! I am having trouble with:

Makerfocus 2pcs ESP8266 Module ESP-12E NodeMcu LUA WiFi Internet New Version Development Board

Have you tried ESPlorer? I can get something on it but I am still not sure if the ESP-12E is alive or not...

Hmmm... Just tried it on Arduino IDE and it is responding. In the "send" box at the top of the Serial Monitor, using a NodeMCU Lua command, I attempt to set wifi mode to "station" (similar to the AT command AT+CWMODE=1) but get error message "stdin:1: ...

wifi.setmode(wifi.STATION)
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near 'ÿ'
>

Which in not very helpful.. Maybe I need to flash a new firmware on it??
By Skipjack6900
Zachrey wrote:I'm with you on this one! I am having trouble with:

Makerfocus 2pcs ESP8266 Module ESP-12E NodeMcu LUA WiFi Internet New Version Development Board

Have you tried ESPlorer? I can get something on it but I am still not sure if the ESP-12E is alive or not...

Hmmm... Just tried it on Arduino IDE and it is responding. In the "send" box at the top of the Serial Monitor, using a NodeMCU Lua command, I attempt to set wifi mode to "station" (similar to the AT command AT+CWMODE=1) but get error message "stdin:1: ...

wifi.setmode(wifi.STATION)
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near 'ÿ'
>

Which in not very helpful.. Maybe I need to flash a new firmware on it??

Thanks for the info. I've not tried ESPlorer yet and will download it and try it out.