So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By hortplus
#73273 My initial experience is the ESP8266 boards are unable and not suited to critical applications that i need to develop. i need stability 24/7/365. Any thoughts? Are the cheap chinese boards i'm getting no good? Thoughts and your experience please. Would be greatly appreciated
By jarnoldbrown
#73284 I have three currently running 24/7, one of which is outside in an unsealed container. They are all Wemos D1 mini (or clones thereof), and I have found them to be thoroughly reliable. What problems have you had to give you such a bad inpression?
By btidey
#73285 I have seen no problems with stability on my 17 ESP12-F modules running 24/7/365. Some have been running for over a year now.

You do have to engineer things properly.

Hardware needs good stable 3.3V power able to sustain peaks of 400mA with a good decoupling capacitor close to board.

The firmware should also be written to ensure there is no sustained delays which may trigger the watchdog timer and to handle and recover from any failures in accessing AP wifi network.

I think many of the previous reports of instability were down to power supplies and software structure.