So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By MartinC
#73354 It's all good so far: I built a toolchain using open-esp-sdk (on OSX 10.13.2 High Sierra), made Blinky, uploaded it to an ESP12F and it works fine: nice slow flashing Led.

I built the toolchain with 'STANDALONE=n', so open-esp-sdk created a separate 'sdk' symlink to ESP8266_NONOS_SDK_V2.0.0_16_08_10.

HERE's MY QUESTION:
Having gone the open-esp-sdk route like this, does that mean that I have to change any of the function calls in the examples and SDK documentation from Espressif.com or Kolban's book (which I've bought) ? For example, I read that open-esp-sdk uses the lwip networking library. I suppose I'm just a little confused about what open-esp-sdk has done for me... has it 'just' created a vanilla ESP8266 build environment but using gcc instead of xtensa's xcc? (apologies in advance if this is just a really stupid question).

SUPPLIMENTARY:
As I built with the SDK outside the toolchain, can I just download and symlink to ESP_NONOS_SDK_2.1.0 as this seems to be the most recent version on the Espressif site?
By MartinC
#73390 Update: this evening I managed to ‘migrate’ to ESP_NONOS_SDK-2.1.0 downloaded from the Espressif support site, and after some tweaking I’ve now got Blinky to build and run with the new setup :)

IIRC the tweaking consisted mostly of including additional libraries such as -lcrypto that now seem to be needed