So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By tectonic
#74172 Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum but I've been working with the ESP8266 for over a year. In using the example code "Hotspot" I have successfully set up an AP_Staion mode where I connect to my router and have an Access Point set up (192.168.5.1). I have added to my router a static IP for the station and a gateway for the router to find the access point. When I ping either the station address or the Access Point address, I get a good return (1 or 2 ms each step and no lost packets). However, if I connect my tablet to the AP and read the assigned address (192.168.5.100) I find that if I try pinging the tablet at that address, it just times out. Do I need some sort of gateway for it to reach the tablet? I've been assuming that if the ping can find the AP, then the AP would simply pass it on to the appropriate address attached. How can I get it to ping the tablet successfully?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
By tectonic
tectonic wrote:Hi,

I'm brand new to the forum but I've been working with the ESP8266 for over a year. In using the example code "Hotspot" I have successfully set up an AP_Staion mode where I connect to my router and have an Access Point set up (192.168.5.1). I have added to my router a static IP for the station and a gateway for the router to find the access point. When I ping either the station address or the Access Point address, I get a good return (1 or 2 ms each step and no lost packets). However, if I connect my tablet to the AP and read the assigned address (192.168.5.100) I find that if I try pinging the tablet at that address, it just times out. Do I need some sort of gateway for it to reach the tablet? I've been assuming that if the ping can find the AP, then the AP would simply pass it on to the appropriate address attached. How can I get it to ping the tablet successfully?

Thanks in advance,
Bob