So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Heenne
#77054 Hello,

currently I only have problems with my ESP 8266-01. Actually I don't even get one single successful flash anymore, where the code is working afterwards. I have a few situations and I will explain them in the following text, but first please have a look at my circuit for flashing the ESP8266-01: Link

I tried to follow this picture for the wiring: Wiring tutorial

As you can see I am using an external power source with a 1,5A power supply which should be enough for the WiFi-modul, I hope.

My usage of the circuit for flashing: Press Reset-button (further away from the modul on my setup). Press Flash-Button (closer to the modul on my setup). Release Reset-button (blue lamp flashes one time). Release Flash-button (I also have tried pressing the Flash-button for the whole flashing process, but it didn't help).

I am working with the Arduino IDE with the following settings: Settings

I tried to change some settings according to some people posting their settings. But none really worked well. I also tried different flash sizes.

Question: What flash size do I need to set in the Arduino IDE? Or in general, what settings should I use here?

Following some tutorials I noticed the ESPTool.py programm. I downloaded it and tried the erase_flash command which should help get the new sketch on there but it didn't help. Also I exported the .bin-file from my programm out of the Arduino IDE and tried to flash the ESP with the ESPTool.py write_flash, but after reaching 100% it just resulted in the second error I will be listing below.

I also have tried another ESP8266-01 modul because I was scared that I broke the first one, but it didn't help and I still get the same errors.

I used this sketch but also have tried others. This just seemed very simple and I can easiely verify that the code is working through the serial monitor:

Code: Select all#include <ESP8266WiFi.h>

void setup() {
// put your setup code here, to run once:
WiFi.softAP("APName", "testtest", 1, false, 8);
Serial.begin(115200);
}

void loop() {
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
Serial.println("This is a test!");
delay(100);
}

Now to the problems:

Error during the flashing of the modul. This is just copied from the Arduino IDE and pasted here. This error occures randomly at any percentage during the flashing-process.

Code: Select allesptool v0.4.13 - (c) 2014 Ch. Klippel ck@atelier-klippel.de
setting board to ck
setting baudrate from 115200 to 115200
setting port from COM1 to COM7
setting address from 0x00000000 to 0x00000000
espcomm_upload_file
espcomm_upload_mem
setting serial port timeouts to 1000 ms
opening bootloader
resetting board
trying to connect
flush start
setting serial port timeouts to 1 ms
flush complete
espcomm_send_command: sending command header
espcomm_send_command: sending command payload
read 0, requested 1
trying to connect
flush start
flush complete
espcomm_send_command: receiving 2 bytes of data
Uploading 257696 bytes from C:\Users\henri\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_187353/sketch_jun29a.ino.bin to flash at 0x00000000
erasing flash
size: 03eea0 address: 000000
first_sector_index: 0
total_sector_count: 63
head_sector_count: 16
adjusted_sector_count: 47
erase_size: 02f000
setting serial port timeouts to 15000 ms
writing flash``
....................................................................... read 0, requested 1
warning: espcomm_send_command: didn't receive command response
warning: espcomm_send_command(FLASH_DOWNLOAD_DATA) failed
warning: espcomm_send_command: wrong direction/command: 0x01 0x03, expected 0x01 0x04
closing bootloader
flush start
flush complete
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

2. This error just occures after flashing the modul succeded. Here are some pictures.

As you can see the flashing went to 100% (See picture 1). But the board, is printing nothing in the serial monitor (also blue LED not flashing). Then I will reset the board to restart it and get the message in the picture 2.

By now I have no idea how to get these modules working. All links on google are marked as "allready clicked", so maybe somebody here can help me with my problems.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day,

Heenne