So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By hsieber
#77870 After a lot of issues I can now connect my ESP-1 to my router. I am trying to implement the 'transparent transmission' described in chapter 4 of the AT Command Example doc from espressif. I get as far as the AT+CIFSR step, which displays IP and MAC addresses (i am using mode 3). The problem is how to run a server on a Win 10 PC attached to the same router. I have tried Putty and some free server apps but nothing seems to work. I am in way over my head and trying to understand how to set up the network.
Send:
AT+CIPSTART="TCP", "192.168.1.176"
Res:
IP ERROR
ERROR
I believe the IP address is that of the PC as shown by IPCONFIG /ALL
I assume the IP error is because there is no server running on the PC.
Specific questions:
1. How to match the AT command set to the device I have- AT_GMR returns "AT version 1.1.0.0". Some of the AT commands do not match the documentation I downloaded from espressif, e.g. AT Command Set and AT Command examples.
2. The command examples show a picture of some kind of server app on page 10 of the AT Command examples paper, where can that be downloaded? Does it run on Win 10?
3. Do I need to re-flash the 8266 devices I just bought? Although I have Arduino installed I am hoping not to have to modify the 8266 & just use AT commands if possible.
4. Do you need the port number for the AT+CIPSTART command?

Any help will be appreciated. If these questions are too broad please advise & I will try to focus in as appropriate