So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Tenatious
#77960 Hi,

Newbie here so wanted to see if something was possible using the ESP8266 and a solid state relay. My background is as a software developer, mainly in JS so have been developing some home automation things using ZWave and utilising the NodeJS Wrapper. One of the things I have working is a ZWave relay hidden behind the light switch and this works fine, however they're about £50 each and with so many switches in my house I want to control would get costly to use those!

This was when I came across the ESP8266 and a solid state relay. Would it be possible to have these in behind the light switch (would they fit?) and have them powered from the 230V with a step down to the 5V (think this is what is required) and also still have the ability to manually switch the light on and off from the wall switch as well as with the Wi-Fi?

Couldn't really find anyone on the internet that had done this unless I was searching for the wrong thing.

Hope that made sense!

Tenatious
By PatrykW
#77962 Definitely possible. but then again. Why bother reinventing the wheel, when you can just buy SonOff for 5 bucks. it is basically what you want (esp8266, a relay, power supply, even a current metering) in a nice box with terminals and stuff. even comes with an app to control it.
Of course if you were to build something yourself, you'd have way more flexibility for similar cash, but you need to ask yourself if it's worth the effort. I'm actually working on a project like that, but unless you're willing to live with your junction boxes permanently gutted out, i do not recommend it lol
By QuickFix
Tenatious wrote:with a step down to the 5V (think this is what is required)

Before you damage any ESP8266 module: it's 3.3V (±10%) capable of delivering (at least) 300mA to 500mA of current. :idea:

But, as already mentioned above: why reinvent the wheel for a multitude of the cost of someone else's work?