So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By SU18
#78399 Hi,

I was wondering whether it's possible to use the mini GSM800L module with an ESP8266-01. The GSM800L works with Arduinos, and I know I can program the ESP module in the Arduino IDE. I'm just not sure if the module itself is compatible, and how I would go about getting it to work.

Any help would be much appreciated.

By PatrykW
#78401 Assuming it's 3.3V UART interface, it's exactly like with Arduino. You hook up the serial lines, connect grounds and you power both devices.
But if it's 5V UART, you will need converter. Check the datasheet to be sure.
By SU18
PatrykW wrote:Assuming it's 3.3V UART interface, it's exactly like with Arduino. You hook up the serial lines, connect grounds and you power both devices.
But if it's 5V UART, you will need converter. Check the datasheet to be sure.

Thanks for your help :) . I'll give it a shot and see if it works.
By QuickFix
#78411 Just to be ahead of your next question: get yourself a development board instead of a stand alone ESP module (especially the ESP-01). :idea:

A development board is equally cheap at around $2 to $3 a piece, but will make your life so much easier in a development stage.
Of course it's fine to use a module in your final design, there's nothing wrong with that, just get all the uncertainties out of the way while developing.

See my signature below for some sources (I'm not affiliated with any of the sellers, I regularly just try to find the cheapest suppliers and update the links accordingly).