So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Alan-bc
#79306 So I give up .. it's time to ask for help, which is a hard thing to admit..

I have a DOIT TTL-Wifi board; see pic attached. I am attempting to program it. To make sure I know how to get code into the device, I'm starting with a simple BLINK and/or a simple serial output, using the Arduino IDE.

Long story short, nothing works, and it occurs to me that could be because I don't know what parameters to use in the Arduino IDE. This particular device is not listed among the various possibilities and in fact, none of the boards listed there look quite right.

So I picked Generic ESP8266, which results in even more choices for me to make .. Flash mode, flash size, Crystal frequency and so forth.

I'm pretty sure I'm communicating with the device, and here's why. Using ESPTOOL.PY, I downloaded the flash to a file and examined the file. In that binary file, way way down, was the string

C:\Users\alan\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\

and so forth. I find it highly unlikely that the stock firmware was created by another guy named Alan. <g>

Anyway, I appear to have gotten something IN to the device and I can get something OUT of the device. I just can't make the LED blink.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By QuickFix
#79313 If you're able to communicate with it using a terminal program (like PuTTY) you're halfway there (even better: you're almost done). :)
  • Just select the correct COM-port in the Arduino IDE and start with a low upload speed, say 9600 Baud.
  • Then set the board to "Generic ESP8266" (since it actually only is a plain ESP-12) with a flash size of "4M (3M SPIFFS)"; you can leave the other options to default.
  • Now compile the code (do not upload yet)
  • When compiling was successful, press and hold the flash button on the board while pressing the reset-button: this will put the board into programming mode.
  • You can now press the upload-button in the Arduino IDE.
  • When finished, give your board another reset (without holding the flash button) and you're done