So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Lilithet
#80989 I'm trying to hookup my ESP8266 to a GRBL-ish board (arduino based) at 5V using a 1 | 2.2 kOhm Voltage divider but I cant seem to make it work. As soon as I connect CH_PD to high the power LED goes out (Ive also tried to connect it using 10k Ohm resistor to no success).

While when using a Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter such as https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bi ... -guide/all or a USB to TTL like the PL2303HX/YP-01 there are no issues, the device displays the website.

If anyone could tell me what I am doing incorrectly It would be appreciated.
By rudy
Lilithet wrote:I'm trying to hookup my ESP8266 to a GRBL-ish board (arduino based) at 5V using a 1 | 2.2 kOhm Voltage divider but I cant seem to make it work. As soon as I connect CH_PD to high the power LED goes out

What exactly do you mean by hookup. I'll assume that it does not refer to having sex. :o But you need to be a little more explicit. hookup what to what? Do you mean CH_PD to 5 volts? If not then say what you mean. Us guessing is not going to know what you are doing.

How are you powering the ESP8266?

What LED are you talking about.

ESP8266 is the CPU chip, not circuit board, no flash chip, no oscillator, no connector. Tell us what you are using if it is more than a ESP8266 chip.

Provide us with some decent information so we can help you.
By Lilithet
rudy wrote:
Lilithet wrote:I'm trying to hookup my ESP8266 to a GRBL-ish board (arduino based) at 5V using a 1 | 2.2 kOhm Voltage divider but I cant seem to make it work. As soon as I connect CH_PD to high the power LED goes out

What exactly do you mean by hookup. I'll assume that it does not refer to having sex. :o But you need to be a little more explicit. hookup what to what? Do you mean CH_PD to 5 volts? If not then say what you mean. Us guessing is not going to know what you are doing.

hookup as in attach/power...

rudy wrote:How are you powering the ESP8266?

I am trying to power it using a voltage divider as described in my original post.
Z1 = 1kOhm
Z2 = 2.2kOhm
Vin = 5V
Vout = 3.5V

Though I have also done a 1kOhm to 2x1KOhm to get exactly 3.3v

rudy wrote:What LED are you talking about.

The POWER LED on the ESP-01

rudy wrote:ESP8266 is the CPU chip, not circuit board, no flash chip, no oscillator, no connector. Tell us what you are using if it is more than a ESP8266 chip.

My Bad... its an ESP-01 Module with 8 pins
By schufti
#81000 considering not the peak current draw of esp8266 but only average 150mA during startup, you get a calculated voltage drop on Z1 of 150V ... so no supply at all.
Passive voltage dividers are not feasable as supply for most devices with varying current draw.
You might get better results with resistor and zenerdiode.
But for esp you definitely need active voltage regulation.