So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rudy
#81027 One more thing I should have mentioned in my previous post. The ESP8266 is very sensitive to poor power supply wiring. Regulation should be rock solid and as close to the module as possible. With other devices you can get away with sloppy implementations. Not so with the ESP8266. Power issues can be difficult to track down.
By Lilithet
rudy wrote:One more thing I should have mentioned in my previous post. The ESP8266 is very sensitive to poor power supply wiring. Regulation should be rock solid and as close to the module as possible. With other devices you can get away with sloppy implementations. Not so with the ESP8266. Power issues can be difficult to track down.

This is what I feared...
Is it feasible to use the Mini360 to go directly to 3.3V (From 12V) or is there an LN1117 as an alternative that drops from 12V? Or should I only go to 5 and then use the LM1117?
By rudy
#81045 I normally have relays or other devices that need 5 volts so I typically use the 5 volts into a linear regulator.

If I were to start with 12 volts, and have no need for 5 volts, I would use the Mini360 to generate the 3.3 volts.

The most concern I have is when I have 5 volts and need to generate 3.3 volts, that gives a small differential for the switcher to work in. 5 volts is not much voltage to saturate the gate of the power mosfet. There is a voltage doubler circuit in the switching chip and it helps provide more gate potential, more drive signal. But it takes a cycle of two before that kicks in.
By Lilithet
#81048 I just happened to have one step down converter board similar to the mini360 but based on a MP1584EN lying around, so I hooked it up, and it works like a dream. Thanks, I guess Ill have to stock up on those for future projects.