So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Jbudd
#83898 I have an ESP setup as part of my kitchen LED lights, it sends an MQTT message when a sensor detects movement in the room.
It has been working for a year or more, but now it has lost the ability to connect to my Wifi router.

There is a fluorescent light in the room too, and it's been flickering and slow to start lately. I wondered if the electronic noise might have corrupted the sketch on the ESP, but reflashing the sketch with the complete erase option doesn't fix it.

The board is a Witty (the one with LDR, RGB LED and a detachable board for flashing).
The router is a Billion Bipak 7800. Encryption is Mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK, TKIP+AES.
I see from it's log that it offers an IP address to the ESP.
Wifi debug to serial window shows it cycling through connecting, disconnecting.

Any suggestions for resolving this?
By QuickFix
Jbudd wrote:I wondered if the electronic noise might have corrupted the sketch on the ESP, but reflashing the sketch with the complete erase option doesn't fix it.

Electrical noise and spikes sounds like a real possible reason for your design to fail; if the code runs for years without problem, I wouldn't expect that to be the problem.

If reflashing doesn't fix the problem, my guess is that (a GPIO of) the Witty board is damaged and you should try replacing it with a new one.
While you're at it have a good look at the electrical design itself and any potential vulnerabilities when it comes to spikes and noise over the AC-line (have a closer look at the power supply of the Witty and suppress any noise).
By Jbudd
#83909 I have been tweeking the router settings but nothing that should upset the ESP.

I found another ESP (Adafruit feather huzzah), flashed it with the same sketch, same settings and it connects straight away.
Since the router does offer it an IP, it looks like the Witty must be damaged in some way, but I'm mystified that it can still connect to my phone hotspot.
I will get hold of another Witty board and see if that works.