So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By ChristopheDR
JurajA wrote:to what pin do you supply the 3.3 V?
I found this a strange question at first ('to the Vin pin of course'), but then I recalled that the Vin pin is connected to an onboard 3.3V voltage regulator...which also has some voltage drop. So in short: powered the Vin now with 5V adapter and it works...pfew. Note to self: better study those datasheets :oops: . Many thanks to guide me to the solution
By lotus49
#86609 The ESP8266 is the chip itself. That does run off 3.3V. However, development boards such as the NodeMCU should be powered from the USB socket with a 5V supply. The NodeMCU has a LDO regulator on board - it's fairly easy to spot as it has three relatively thick terminals on one side and a single really thick (by SMD standards) terminal on the other side of the package.

Are you definitely using a NodeMCU? Can you post a picture of it so we can be sure we know what you are using?

[Edit] I've just realised there was a page 2 and you've figured it out yourself. Have fun.
By btidey
#86614 You can actually power a NodeMCU from an external 3v3 power supply. You just connect it to one of the 3V3 pins which can act as a power input connection if nothing is connected to the 5V/Vin pins or the USB connector. The on board regulator is then unused as it has no input voltage.