So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By bob21
#86828 Hello again!

Thanks to the help from some forum members, I have decided to try and make this: https://github.com/CosmicMac/ESParkle

I have all the hardware components mentioned, and I can throw the thing together in a physical sense but I have no idea what I am doing from a code point of view.

So far I have:

1. Installed Arduino IDE
2. Installed VS Code and installed the Platform IO plugin
3. Grabbed a copy of the ESParkle git files
4. Pulled all requirements bar 1 into the Arduino Library folder - I cannot figure out where to put the MPU6050 files?

The git mentions editing the platformio.ini file, I think I have done what it asks. I edited the platformio.ini file to add
Code: Select allboard_f_cpu = 160000000L
it was already present but had a leading ; which I assume was a comment marker, so I uncommented. I know I need to rename and edit the Config.h file, which I think I can work out.

So what do I do now? I was expecting to find an arduino file that would open up into a sketch or something... I have no idea what I am doing here so would love some pointers (and also pointers to recommended learning resources :))
Last edited by bob21 on Fri May 01, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By AcmeUK
#86830 ESParkle does not look like an easy project for a beginner.

It requires a MQTT server. Do you have one?

Like you I cannot find a .ino file with the code for the esp8266.

In the src folder there is the esparkle.cpp file, but cpp files are library files.

The are also some .php companion scripts. What for I know not!

For detailed information on programming and using the esp8288 have a look at 'Kolban’s book on the ESP826'

Which you will find here :-https://leanpub.com/ESP8266_ESP32
By Pablo2048
#86832 ESParkle is obviously project for PIO using arduino framework so there don't need to be any .ino file. Everything (same way as in .ino file) is contained in src folder in `esparkle.cpp`. Entire project configuration is in `platformio.ini` file and all libraries are installed automagically within PIO build system. But as AcmeUK said - this is not project for an "Total n00b"...
By bob21
#86834 Greetings both.

Thanks @AcmeUK for the book suggestion. And yes, I do have an MQTT server. I run Mosquitto with Home Assistant.

@Pablo2048 I'll try and get up to speed with Platform IO and see what I can do. Looks like I was looking at the wrong IDE.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll let you know how I get on!