So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By BasicBasic
#94159 I need a Micro-Controller board for a simple project. I need at least 19-GPIO pins some of which will need to be Interrupt capable. I see all these ESP32 boards that look to be suitable. However:
1) They do not show pin numbers for the boards
2) The data Sheets are not actually for the board but for the SOC Chip which is useless for me
3) I can't find the Board Listing on either the Arduino IDE or the Visual Studio Code IDE

So how is anybody going to program these parts without this information...its a mess
Any help Ya'll...
By btidey
#94160 The base ESP-32 unit is commonly the WROOM-32 which is the ESP32 equivalent of the ESP-12F equivalent for the ESP8266.

One can use this raw module as is but it can be tricky due to its narrow pin spacing. As the module is basic then the ESP-32 datasheet applies pretty much directly.

Many people use 'development' boards to make usage easier which is equivalent to using a Wemos or NodeMCU in the ESP8266 world. These typically mount the WROOM-32 module on a motherboard which brings out all the WROOM32 pins to an easier header spacing but they also include USB-UART interface to make powering and uploading code easier. Some modules contain extra RAM in an external PSRAM chip. However, from an IO point of view they will behave pretty much like the base WROOM-32 module and the data sheet description of the pins applies.

One small complication is that sometimes the labelling of IO pins can be different from the GPIO numbering of the WROOM-32 module but each different type of module will have its own naming convention which you can find easily once you have chosen a module. e.g. https://circuits4you.com/2018/12/31/esp ... pio-pinout.

The Arduino ESP-32 packages has a list of ESP-32 boards. The ESP 32 Dev module is the generic one to start with.