So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By clemy49
#96048 Hi there :)

I am a newbie (as you can tell by the channel topic I am posting in ;) )
I have an ESP 8266 flashed with Ahoy DTU (noob web installer used) to measure the energy production from my dads solar panels.
My dads place using an old DLINK 615 Router

At my place I have a Rasperry Pi running with ioBroker on it. I was able to send the data over the internet from his Ahoy DTU to my ioBroker MQTT server with port forwarding (1883 on both sides) and DynDNS.
At my place I have a FritzBox Cable 6590 with internal VPN functionalities (like myfritz)

Even I as a newbie know that this is not the safe way to go. So I was wondering if you know an alternative. Obviously, using a VPN would be a safe option.

BUT here are my questions:
- Is a VPN the best solution?
- If yes: how do I configure the ESP8266 to connect to VPN? And is it even possible? I saw a project like https://github.com/martin-ger/MQTT_VPN
- Will I have to do configurations on my end as well or only on the ESP8266?
- Is it possible to use the fritz box VPN or will I have to go with Wireguard or something?
- Are cloud MQTT broker services a solution to push the data there and the from the cloud into my ioBroker (or is it unsafe again)?
- Or does eben ioBroker offers a nice solution? I heard about ioBroker Cloud.

I hope my explanations are not to confusing as English is not my mother tongue :)

Cheers from a Noob