So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By c.m.cooper
#96167 Hi All,

I have built a small circuit using an 8266 module. Using ESP Now, I simply enable GPIO pins 0 and 2 in certain conditions.

However, the unit runs really hot, like you can’t touch it, but it all works.

I have searched high and low for answers and I could only find comments around Wi-Fi.

Within the loop, should I be enabling and disabling the WiFi?

Concerning the GPIO outputs, I am not driving anything directly, I am switching on MOSFETS to ensure I do not draw too much current from the output pins.

Thanks.
By c.m.cooper
#96185 Hi All,

I concluded that I must have gently fried the microcontroller as I replaced it and the new device doesn’t get warm at all in the same prototype circuit. So although the original one worked, it was definitely faulty.

Thx.
By rooppoorali
#96187 How does your esp behave if you run that separately? I mean, if you disconnect the ESP from your MOSFET based circuit and run a simple blink code, does it still heats up? If yes, then there is a fault in the board itself. If no, then somewhere there maybe an accidental short circuit occuring in your MOSFET circuit.
By btidey
#96193 Under normal circumstances a basic ESP8266 module should have a base dissipation of about 0.25W and should be barely warm to touch.

So there is definitely something wrong either with the module or how you have it wired up.

As well as trying it with a simple test and no peripheral circuitry as suggested, then if you can put a meter in power supply to measure the current that will also help dtermine where the fault lies. Current should average around 80mA.