Left here for archival purposes.

By GeorgeIoak
#17875 Hmm, so there isn't much under the lid (assuming the only difference between version is the size of the external memory). There certainly isn't anything there to explain the sensitivity to Vcc. According to the ESP8266 datasheet Vcc is valid from 3.0 to 3.6V yet I'm not seeing that validity with the ESP-12 module(s) I'm testing with.
By GeorgeIoak
#18099 OK, so this definitely seems to be firmware related. I've had much more success with other firmware images (AT, micropython, the alternate nodemcu) and all of those so far seem to be happy with Vcc=2.8V. I need to run some additional tests as well as take some measurements but at least I'm feeling better about things now.
By Soudrug
#27393 Hi,
I've been trying to get deep sleep working on ESP-12 module for days, with different NodeMCU firmwares, but still no luck, it gets stuck in hour or two.
I have GPIO 0 and GPIO 2 pulled by 4.7k resitors to VCC, gpio16 connected to RST, pulled also with 4.7k to VCC.
VCC is 3.2 - 4.0 V.
I've tried current master, dev096 branch, either download from release page or build by Marcel's cloud build service.
I wanted to try also build from March 31, but my ESPlorer was not able to upload script to it.

Can someone with working deep sleep, please, tell what latest firmware works for you? And how do you connect module?